DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
24/10/04 04:08 AM
Re: To eject or not. That is the question!

In reply to:

am I missing something...

my "cheesy japanese" SKB shotguns only eject the chambers that have been fired. and I can't imagine worrying about "noise" if you've just fired one of theese puppies!!!

maybe I just don't get it....

as for harder opening and closing, I can see that, espeically since the rifle ejectors are likely a lot stiffer than a 20ga shotgun!

Game, even deer are not overly excited by the fireing of a rifle, unless the bullet sprays them with gravel or bark!If you have ever been in africa, where elephant are breaking limbs out of Marula trees to get the fruit, then you know what the sound is like. The limbs poping sounds like rifle shots, yet you don't see other animals being starteled by the noise. Just work the bolt of a rifle, or clink two cartridge case together, and see what happens. There won't be an animal in sight in seconds. The difference is, the poping is a natural sound of the bush, the scrapeing of synthic clothing, matalic clink, and clatter is not.

I'll give you an example of what I mean! While hunting in the Oscura range of New Mexico, I sat watching about ten deer working their way up the opposite side of the canyon. They bedded down in the shady side. As I watched, I could hear shots being fired within 300 yds of these deer, and one shot just at the top of the ridge I was on. NO REACTION of the deer at all, not even a look in the dirrection of any of the shots. However, in a second, a Blue Jay gave a cry on top of their side of the canyon, immediatly, they were on their feet, and moveing out of the canyon down stream. In about ten minutes I saw a hunter appeare on top just above where the deer had been. I could still see the deer out at the mouth of the canyon, about 500 yds away, looking at the hunter. He jacked his bolt to check his chamber, You guessed it, the deer bolted!

The reason noise of the cases being ejected is, when hunting heavy bush, in a herd sittuation, one often works his way into the center of the herd to get at a very good bull buffalo, or elephant. When the shots are fired, the herd usually will turn their attention to the downed bull, instead of running. The opening of a double with ejectors, will pin-point your possition immediatly, and you may be covered in very large feet shortly! Ejectors are not needed for this type of hunting anyway, nobody can afford to shoot three or four bull elephant at on time, so there is not need for multiple shots, after the first two, and if more are needed for animal you just shot, loading, and closeing the rifle quietly is far more important.

I will say if ejectors are on the rifle I will not refuse to buy it, but for dangerous game I always disconnect them. And, I will not have an auto safety on a double made for dangerous game! You may use auto safeties, and selective ejectors if you want, I do not, and appologise to no one for that opinion. More people have been hurt, or killed because of the auto safeties, than those hurt by rifles with a manual safety! I use auto safeties on shotguns used for birds, but not on a dangerous game rifle! My opinion, and that is worth exactly what you paid for it! $0.00

Contact Us NitroExpress.com