DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
21/10/04 08:07 AM
Re: The 9,3x74R Double Rifle, is it the Holy Grail

In reply to:

The pressure issue with double rifles has nothing to do with the strength of the action and never did. A 12 gauge will put as much or more back thrust on the action as most rifle cartridges. I've seen two examples of double rifles blown up. Both went out through the side of the barrel without damage to the action.

Unspellable,you are absolutely correct that most complete blow-ups occure in the walls of the barrel, usually just ahead of the chamber area, where the barrels get thinner! However, an action can be damaged severly, long before a barrel lets go.

In reply to:

The reason pressure was an issue is extraction. The double simply does not have the mechanical advantage a bolt does on extraction

The above quote is also correct, and is just as sereous when faced with a locked tight double, whne one needs to re-load fast!

The high pressures are simply hard on the actions of double rifles, and their longivity is shortened by it to a great degree! My question is, if you are going to spend the price of a new car for a rifle, why not get the best value for money, and avoid the potentual problems? By not haveing it chambered for a cartridge that is not well suited to the type rifle your buying? I will say a lot of the loose actioned doubles was not caused by the wrong cartridge, but haveing the wrong owner, who doesn't know how to care for it!

I think one of the reasons you see so many damaged doubles that are chambered for rounds like the 458 Win Mag, and 375H&H, is the mind-set of the guys who buy them. Most folks who buy a rifle chambered for either of these two rounds, tend to be people who look to get as much velocity as they can from a cartridge. That is a mind-set that is dangerous where double rifles are concerned, new, or old!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com