NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
14/12/11 02:40 PM
Re: Tikka 512SD

Quote:

I like the look of those improved x74's.

John,do you like the NF scope ?.
If you had your time again would you buy another ?.

I see you had a Leupold 1-4 or 1.5-5 on it in the NT.

Someone asked me that in another thread. I haven't developed an opinion yet as I haven't used it for long enough yet.

These 30 mm scopes are too heavy IMO for a nice lightly balanced double, but on a 'Valmet' that doesn't matter. But the Zeiss. S&B and Swarovski scopes one sees on most DRs are all the same, 30 mm and heavy. Especially illuminated ones. The Nightforce is probably not as heavy as many of them. I really wish GOOD scopes in 2 1/2x, 3x and 4x were available again, especially for DRs and big bore bolts. One does not need a large variable.

I prefer a different sort of reticle to those available, but on a double for closer range shooting it should work well. I do like the 1x scope setting. Allows both eyes to be open for very quick target acquisition. Also if used on one of the combination barrels might be fine to use with a shotgun.

Given the above, I would consider another without doubt, but really would prefer a German no. 4 type reticle perhaps with the lighted circle and a dot.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com