Martin
(.224 member)
01/10/04 04:41 AM
Re: Scoping a DR

Why does virtually everyone seem so obsessed with scoping a DG gun? I think the problem is just the modern gun culture: young people often never learn to shoot well with iron sights, which given that NO "off the shelf" American rifle has enough drop to truly come up clean, is perhaps not suprising. It's "catch 22".

I bought my first rifle when I was eighteen, during the early sixties: a Belgium FN .270. I never bothered to fit a scope - we do not shoot at real distance in Britain - and practiced at the "running deer range" at Bisley. Several years later (we tend to keep our rifles longer) I fitted a x4 scope. By this time, of course, I had gotten used to the original feel of the gun and hated the scope. It came off after about a month.

Of course there is a place for scopes - but on a DG rifle? And a double, at that! If you cannot hit a target from a 100 yards in, without a scope, then practice, practice and practice. If you still can't manage it - take up fishing! And never, never, let your kids use a scoped gun until they are truly proficient with iron sights.

Martin

Contact Us NitroExpress.com