NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/11/11 02:56 PM
Re: Tikka 512SD

Quote:

John - what is the manner of it's regulation of the 2 rifle barrels - do the barrels converge into a single group, or do they remain parallel, or does the bottom barrel rise to meet the top barrel, but not quite until extended range?

The barrels are self-regulating. If you look at the photos of the game shot you will see the gap between the barrels.

In the photos of the rifle, there is no gap. I have since inserted the rubber (or whatever it is made of) "ribs" between the barrels. This improves the appearance of the rifles and combinations.

The regulation is self-regulated, with a wedge half way along the barrels which either increases the gap or decreases it. Increasing the gap brings the barrels impact points together and vice versa. Along wedge at the muzzles for horizontal movement. I have never had to touch that one.

For my current load, last time I checked it was shooting about an inch parallel at 100 metres with two one hole groups of two shots.

Quote:

I'd think with some forethought, one might develope ammo that would give long range shooting from one barrel, say an automatic 350 yard zero, while normal shootin, as say a 100 to 200 yard zero from the other.

Yes if the calibre and load allows, there is no reason why one barrel (the top perhaps) or both barrels can not shoot at decent ranges.

Depending on the load and calibre. The 9.3x74R is no "magnum" especially the load I am using which is a 286 gr Woodleigh Protected Point at 2,170 fps in the 9.3mm. I could try a faster load but that was superbly accurate in my rifle.

Maybe the .30-06 barrels when fitted will show what they are capable of. As the barrels can be self-regulated, I can try lighter bullets in it, not the usual heavy round nose bullets usually used in DRs.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com