carpediem4570
(.300 member)
22/09/11 03:40 AM
Do you crimp your bullets in place?

Good Day to All:

I was messing around with my Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 9.3x74R.

I noticed a compresion ring around one of the bullets I pulled and realized I had way too much crimp on my cases.

I tried an experiment where I took a resized case and measured the inside neck (.369). Without a projectile, I ran the case up into the Lee Factory Crimp Die. I removed the case and re-measured the neck (.360).

The projectile is of course .366 and therefore I should have a factory crimp of .006.

Before conducting this experiment I had the crimp at well over .010 and it was crushing the bullet in a circular pattern around the bullet creating a canalure where there was none.

Interestingly, at 50 metres, with several different powders and loads I was getting bullets out of one barrel or the other that would have the holes overlapping one-another with two shots from each barrel; Ie, R1 and R2 would be overlapping and L1 and L2 would be overlapping.

Now to the question: For those of you who reload, do you crimp your bullets in place and if so how much of a crimp do you use and what type of crimp do you use, ie, factory crimp, taper crimp, role crimp?

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

Contact Us NitroExpress.com