hoosier
(.224 member)
18/08/11 01:04 AM
Re: Pedersoli Kodiak MkIV double rifle 45-70

I have a Pedersoli double in 45-70 and have found it to be a heavy but well built rifle.
Any thoughts about shooting factory ammo is going to be luck of the draw, you might find something that regulates and you might not.My rifle is shooting very well with a cast 425 gr. bullet at around 1770 fps-it will do about as well with jacketed bullets around 400 grs.The recoil is getting heavy in this range so have not tried anything heavier.I can tell you that the cast load mentioned will penetrate a bison through the shoulders completely and regard it as sufficient for all north american game-big bears and all.Africa is a different story. There are a number of guys whom have used 45-70 lever rifles on cape buffalo with sucess but I find it to be a marginal choice at best
in that league-You make a good first shot and it likely won't get dicey, if it don't come out that way you had better trust your PH strongly.

Another thing to know about double rifles is that they are not like bolt rifles are for accuracy.
you can't shoot just anything in them and expect good regulation.As mine works out 1770 fps works out pretty well for 400 to 425 grain bullets-cast or jacketed with a velocity window of plus or minus 20 to 25 fps starting out.Slower and the hits spread apart on the target and faster they
cross.Mine was regulated at 50 yards and with my best load on a good day when the nut on the
trigger is tight and well lubricated (LOL)this rifle prints the holes almost perfectly level and
just under 3/4" apart at 50 yards. At 100 yards they are not crossing but it is diffucult to do precise shooting with open sights and aging eyes.For this reason I have just made up a sight base
and mounted it on the rib over the weekend.My rings should be here today. Maybe I can get it going again with a scope-hope so because it would be fun to use again and actually be able to hit
something.I have macula degeneration and the front sight is just a blur.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com