mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
28/06/11 03:54 AM
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets

Lilguy,

The first Big Game Rifle Club of North America match of the year should come up in Lodi WI anytime now. The second one is in October. It is an excellent place to check out some double rifles - both modern and vintage. Another place where you can see some double rifles from time to time is the Aurora Sportsmen's Club. I haven't been to their new range but am told that several double rifle shooters joined after the new range opened. Of course, you can always go to Bristol WI and check out the range there - some people there do own double rifles but there is no regular pattern of attendance at any of these places other than at the Lodi matches.

Not sure the Hoffman Estates Cabelas store has any double rifles, but you could check with the various Scheels branches in Wisconsin and do an transfer from there. About a year ago I was at the Scheels in Appleton WI and saw two double rifles there - one a Dakota and the other a Merkel. If you want to order a Merkel rifle, Mike Schrank's in Waukegan are a firm that would order for you. Mark, who runs the place after Mike Schrank and his brother died, is a nice guy though he is a former police officer and not very knowledgeable about double rifles and historical guns. That said, I have had excellent service from him in the guns that I have bought and the FFL transfers that he did for me. Mega Sports in Plainfield are also dealers for Merkel, though I have not done any business with them and have no idea what their service is like.

Good hunting!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com