Daydreamer
(.224 member)
05/08/04 01:34 AM
Re: Why is the O/U inferior for DG

4seventy

Let me tell you my experiance with regulating a Tikka 512 9,3x74r O/U double, maybe that will help ....

I have the forementioned O/U - regulated the rifle with RWS DK 226grn bullets to hit both barrels together POA at 100 meters - shooting just fine.

At 25 meters the POI of the two different barrels was 10cm apart (4") - removing the scope it went to 17,5cm (7") difference in height POI between the two barrels.

So - for me - the problem with the O/U is the difference in height of the POI for the different shooting distances.

I now have a new Blaser S2 Safari SxS in 9,3x74r - later to get change barrels in 500NE or 500/416NE - this changes the POI also when the scope is removed - bud not as dramatically as the O/U does, but aside that the bullets travel the same arce in paralell just a little bit apart, and the horizontally difference is easier to compensate than the vertically spreat for different ranges.

In a DGR you do not want to have to think about compensating the (likely significant) vertically difference of POI of the two barrels - to take care of the short range horizontally difference of POI in a SxS should only be 1" grasshoppers afaire

cheers, Franz

Contact Us NitroExpress.com