500Nitro
(.450 member)
10/02/11 06:29 PM
Re: No frills double.

Quote:

it as a working gun, my thought was to reload my own, I have been reloading for all my other calibers for some time now, and I feel that I am fairly competent. My question: Is it that much more difficult loading for these NE rounds if the correct powders,and projectiles are available, obviously I have never loaded any "BIG BOY" ammo other than the .458, so I am naturally cautious.

IMHO, they are easier to load for than smaller rounds.

Big bores are a bit more forgiving, subject to the DR not being overly sensitive (to minor grain variations or powder lots)

Quote:

2nd Question: would both the .470, and the .500 be capable of banging out projectiles of between 400-500gr solids, and softs (I understand that some doubles are limited in projectile grainage, this is more of a general question) at around 1900-2100 fps? Sorry if these are simple questions, but I'd rather know now than when I have to bounce an angry Mbogo, or Ele!

Doubles are only limited in projectile grainage because of regulation. That's NOT to say you couldn't get a slightly heavier round to shoot but why would you ? The rounds have worked well for years as they are.

470 yes, they have a set bullet weight, a 500 Nitro uses a 570gn projjie.

The velocity you are after is easily achieved. You should aim for 2050 - 2150. Partly depends on the DR but 1900 fps is too slow a MV in my HO.

I would go 470 Nitro first, 500 Nitro second.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com