doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
17/08/10 04:23 AM
Re: Sabatti DR

I overlooked mentioning in my post above, but I did as "ironscot" did, in checking over my new Sabatti rifles in .500 and .470, closed my eyes, pulled each rifle up in firing position, opened my eyes, and was delighted to see sights lined up beautifully, showing rifles fit my extremely well, and I have no Italian in me at all! Now, my .470 has figure in stock, multiple streaks of smokey black, that far excel the .500, so much so that I think it is a fluke, an oddball, as I have tried to look at the stock figure on every one of the comparable deluxe models put up for sale by Cabellas online, and none of them came even close to figure in my .470. It shoots as well as it looks too, putting left and right on bullseye, about 1 1/2 inch apart at 50 yards. Shoots as well as a Westley Richards I have, and fits me as well as any of the other British, German, Belgian double rifles I have. I have now added a trap grip cap from NECG. Have added a bit of lead weight at strategic places in forend and stock, easily removable, for future experimentation to get as much weight, within reason, without upsetting point of impact. My .470 has ejectors, the same system originally designed by Frederick Beesley; sold to Holland and Holland, and used by them since, foolproof. Again, the whole of the action on the deluxe model of Sabatti contains only ONE coil spring, for the top lever, while other springs, mainsprings and ejector springs are good old traditional V springs of good quality and workmanship. All workmanship on my two is very well done. I have a large collection of double rifles from Britain and the continent, some being great old classics, yet I would buy a Sabatti deluxe model (not familiar at all with the cheaper Sabatti model, as I have none) at the asking price today, in a heartbeat---great value for money, and I expect the price to increase in the not too distance future.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com