Ironscot
(.224 member)
24/07/10 01:03 PM
Re: Sabatti DR

I had the opportunity to handle one of the Deluxe models down in Futt Wutt a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. The stock finish looked so so, not quite what I expected from the pictures but can be remedied with a strip and rubbed oil redo. The engraving was tasteful and the french gray wasn't at all bad. Really well done case coloring sans engraving is what spins my crank. Even the little whatsit that guards the top lever was pretty cool in person. One standing and two folding leaves were nice. Action fit was nice as was wood to metal. Splinter forend would definitely be a future mod.

Whether or not this tidbit means anything to anyone else is subjective. I pick a point and mount the gun with my eyes closed then open them and if the sights are aligned on that point with a natural mount that's gravy to me. The Sabatti did and a beautiful little Chapuis didn't. I know it's a matter of stock fit, but when shekels are as hard to come by as they are around here, every little expense spared is bonus. The one I looked at was chambered in .450 3 1/2 which made it terribly tantalising. It balanced well, though the exact weight is unknown. You'd have thought they would have a scale. (Shoulda gone and borrowed one from the fishing dept. Doh!)

All in all, if the dogs had better accomodations around here it might have come home with me. As it is I'm just checking out current market prices on extraneous well used internal organs and stashing loose change in the meantime.

I really like the sound of what doubleriflejack is doing to his. Bears some considerin' for the future. For the money I'd consider it a buy.

P.S. Looked at the .45-70 Basic too. Most of my two twos have more metal at the muzzle than they do. Think I'd rather part with the kidney and go nitro deluxe if the choice was to be made.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com