xausa
(.400 member)
18/03/10 10:12 AM
Re: How many of you do NOT scope your DR and use irons only?

Back in 1970, when I ordered my Krieghoff over and under .458 double rifle, the options for open sights were pretty few. I requested a shallow vee back sight and a patridge front, which is more or less what I got. The normal German rear sight at that time was more like a pistol sight, with a narrow U notch, and definitely not something you would want to try to acquire quickly in an emergency.

Well, the folks at Krieghoff did the best they could, but any resemblance to British double rifle rear sights is purely coincidental. I have never used them on game, and now, at age 71, I'm sure I never will. My Lyman All American straight tube 1" scope in claw mounts without the see-through arrangement works very well and does not interfere with reloading. Contrary to the modern trend, I find 22 mm scopes most appealing and regret the passing of such beauties as the Zeiss Zielklein, the Lyman Alaskan, and the Noske Field Scope.

I have shot one elephant, one Cape buffalo, and (with the interchangeable barrels in .375 H&H) an eland, a greater and lesser kudu, a lion and a leopard, with that rifle, all with the scope mounted. If there had been a way to mount a stout, fully adjustable aperture receiver sight on the rifle, I would have seriously considered using that, but that was a thing of the future. New England Custom Guns imports a dandy from Recknagel, I believe, which fits a number of scope bases, but not, alas, my claw mounts. They will be just the thing for my .416 Ruger No. 1, however. (Yes Carpetsahib, I still have it.)

Having said that, I agree that a scope on a classic side by side double rifle interferes with the lines of the weapon, and I would be loath to use such a thing. I have a set of shooting glasses with lenses especially made to allow me to see my pistol sights. I have no doubt that something similar could be done with double rifle open sights, should I wish to pursue that goal.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com