DarylS
(.700 member)
17/02/10 03:42 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Or do they? Have any guns, previously with no OSR developed OSR from shooting Barnes TSX or their banded solids?

Is this opinion on band thickness based on fact, or suposition due to 'sounding' logical? Just because someone happens to make a bullet with very thin bands, does not mean thicker bands are bad or that they cause OSR.

As to band width, I suspect total area of the bands 'could' be important in the equation, as well as the material's composition itself, along of course, with size of the bnads and grooves between. Taking from one area of importance and adding to another 'could' have the same outcome.

Seems to me I saw a picture of those thin banded bullets, showed heavy engraving all the way around, lands and grooves digging deeply into the solid shank. That only means the barrel it was fired in, was perhaps on the tight side, only, and was only one barrel - could have been too tight for that bullet. Maybe! Considering barrels that have shot nothing buy Woodleighs show OSR - 5 out of 5 discussed. 2 of them had also fired monos? Whose mono's? Did the monos contribute or was the OSR caused by the Woodleighs as in the other 3 - coincidence that all 5 barrels shot with the Woodleigh solids had OSR or that both (2) barerls shot with monos had OSR.
This does not sound as if the woodleighs are particularly 'safe' to me - every barrel shot with them had OSR.

Yes I know you have several DR's and all you've shot is woodleighs and they don't have OSR - but those 5 did. What does this mean- maybe nothing - maybe those 5 guns were 'faulty' or undersized in the bores? We'll never know.

We do know that fingers cannot be pointed at the mono bullets in this example.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com