jaz
(.300 member)
07/02/10 06:50 AM
H&H Project - opinion

Hello,

Having read through thousands of opinions about various topics from our members, some are quite good. So I ask your opinion.....

I recently acquired a Holland Dominion double rifle in the 375 2.5" flanged cartridge. Along with the gun came a nicely made set of 28" Austrian proofed 20 bore barrels. Also included are three 25.5" shotgun barrels in 20, 20 and 28 bore as well as a half finished lined set of barrels in, to the best of my calculations, 45 125 Sharps (!??) These are not finished as the liners are still extending through the original barrels. These barrels were lined from the identical 25.5"s type of barrels.

The action has been engraved with three capercaillie's which look to me like turkeys. The birds are engraved in a heavy relief which is beautiful, but they are damn turkeys!

The gun has been engraved to an individuals liking, but degraded the gun in his efforts. The gun still has the barrels in their original 375 chambering and are in good shape, no scope, all original. The action is a long top strap back action dominion. This action was described to me years ago by David Winks, retired Head gunsmith Holland, as "their strongest action ever made". I assume because it is a back action and not much meat is machined out as with a sidelock or boxlock.
The gun weighs 9.4 lbs, with the rifle barrels.

Because the value has been diminished with the engraving, here is what I am pondering:

- Do I re-chamber the gun to a 375 Flanged Magnum and make it a much more useful gun, bringing any big game into play? (blasphemy!) If it was any other action, I would not consider it, but I believe this is safe. Yes it may have to be re-regulated. What would potential buyers think?? Not that I am looking to sell it.

- Scope. I like, or should I say need, a scope for out to 100 yards. If I scoped it, it would be with the correct period scope and in claw mounts.

- Or, do I re-line or sleeve the half done barrels with a more useful cartridge and leave the originals alone. Again I have turkeys on the gun!!! If so, what cartridge? The 375 Flanged Mag, 9.3 x 74R, reuse the .452 +/- ??

Thoughts??
John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com