470evans
(.333 member)
30/01/10 08:04 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

Tinker,

your ideas about a hammer are useful. Let's first remember the main claim about OSR: 'A hard bullet presses the rifling from the inside to the outside, while a soft bullet does not do so'. Let's play 'Mythbusters' and set up the following experiment: Take a potato, cut it in half, and then carve a heart into it. The potato is the barrel, the heart represents the rifling. Now take a hammer (which represents the hard bullet) and violate the potato with some strikes. Now turn the potato around and look for the heart being visible on the other side. You won't find any pattern, irregardless of whether you strike the potato with a hammer or a bag of feathers. The reason is simple and shows the main fallacy of the OSR claim: No force or material on earth can drive a profile through a material that is of the same hardness and consistency as the profile itself. Take another cut potato and put a little wooden heart on it, hammer the wooden heart into the potato. Now turn the potato around and you will see the heart shape imprinted on the other side. Hence, OSR could only occur if grooves and lands were made of different materials with significanty different levels of hardness.

404, I must be losing something in translation here. I would guess you have never seen OSR either?

Unless you've seen it it's very difficult to explain and get some people to believe it even exists. At least one non-believer(Cal)has changed his tune about it existing.

Cal, I hope you don't find any issues with that beautiful Wilkes. I'd like to hear what you find out after you inspect the rifle and I look forward to hearing there aren't any issues.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com