450_366
(.400 member)
28/01/10 09:16 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

This OSR phenomenon that's referred to. Is it visible down the length of the barrel? If so, I have a hard time accepting that it's caused by the bullet. Even a "hard" bullet like a mono solid. You take a solid copper bullet, banded or otherwise. When that sucker hits the rifling in a considerably harder steel barrel, it will swage down to bore dimensions in pretty short order. Metal has to move period, or it would be a bore obstruction. Once the initial swaging is done, I fail to see how it could act on the barrel any differently than any other bullet, for the remainder of it's trip down the bore. Fire a conventional solid, and a monometal solid down the same bore, and measure them. See if there's a difference in the land/groove dimensions?

Jeff

I think 404bearslayer made a good point that its most likely not the bullet that is the couse of osr, than the pressure within the barrel behind the bullet. But then it needs to be really high all the way down and exact so it affects the steel in an uniform way so the rifling appears to be equal affected over the lenght of the barrel.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com