400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
27/01/10 07:47 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

btw, i wonder who the upset one with the 450/400 was?

That would be me. Earlier in this thread, I promised to be at SCI at the Heym booth with a double rifle with OSR to show anyone interested. I was. I flew in Tuesday and promptly got sick as a horse. I was in bed through Friday, and was only in the booth for a full day on Saturday. However, the rifle was in the booth for anyone to look at the entire time.

I was showing the rifle to Graeme Saturday morning, and Cal's name came up in conversation. I mentioned that I was disappointed to have missed him, as he had been one that had posted on this thread that had been skeptical. Graeme said "I'll go get him right now" and was back with Cal in tow in minutes. He had trouble seeing the OSR initially, but with Graeme's help was finally able to. His description of this rifle in the link is accurate. The OSR is mild and visible only on the left barrel. This is why this wasn't the rifle I originally intended to bring. The other four rifles I previously mentioned in this string have OSR that is much more severe and more readily visible. Unfortunately, last minute changes in plans messed up the logistics, and I had to bring this one instead.

There were a lot of skeptics on this string. Anyone that still is should read what Cal has to say in the link. In addition to Graeme Wright and Cal Pappas, Russell Wilkin (Technial Director, Gunmaking, Holland & Holland) examined it and will remember the gun, as did Butch Searcy.

Russell Wilkin said - if I understood him correctly - that in his experience the "banded" designs had not solved the problem. I wish I'd had time to dig into that deeper with him then, but I didn't. I'll do so soon.

Quote:

I would have gotten up to the barnes booth and gone bärsärk.

Been there, done that. They say "that's impossible", and there you are.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com