Der_Jaeger
(.375 member)
16/01/10 08:21 PM
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best

Quote:

Stopping power, as defined by many to be the ability of a gun to stop a charge either by turning or killing of the animal. This is difficult if not impossible to quantify IMHO. Both have enough energy down range to kill anything on this planet, with some to spare I would venture. I have little faith in TKO numbers, but if one believes in these, the 600NE is the leader.

Agree 100% regarding the Taylor Knock-out Formula.

The formula reads: velocity in feet per second, times bullet weight in grains, times caliber as a decimal, divided by 7000.

On the surface, this sounds plausible because, hey, it's a scientific formula.

However........If it were really that simple, I can convince myself that, based on this formula, I'm much better off hunting Brown Bear on Kodiak Island armed with 6 baseballs than I am with a .375 H&H.

A baseball weighs 2,231 grains and is approximately 2.9 caliber. I figure most people, even women, can throw one at least 50 feet per second. Remember, that 100 miles per hour is about 147 ft/s. According to the TKO formula, my fastball would be better Grizzly medicine than a 375 H&H.

No, throw a baseball at 100 feet per second, or 60 mph, and you can tackle just about anything in any situation, anywhere.

Let's not even get to the powerful effects of a 16lb bowling ball launched underhanded in typical bowling fashion. The big benefit is NO RECOIL!!!!

To me, the .577-3" Nitro Express is truly a magnificent cartridge and really posseses the "magic". From India to Africa, this cartridge has done it all by some of the best. The drawback is just pure unadulterated recoil. I shot one at the Vintage Cup and it'll make your brain slip a bit inside your skull. Since both cartridges can do it all in any situation, I personally would take the .577 because it just has a better name!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com