kamilaroi
(.400 member)
30/12/09 08:48 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

kamilaroi-

Quote:

After talking to at least 2 respondents here maybe OSR is related to exceeding the modulus of elasticity of a given steel alloy. Mind you there were a few varieties around 1900, incl Krupps Flusstahl that was apparently very highly rated, then pom stuff, Poldi etc etc.

I definitely agree that the OSR issue appears to be indication of excursions outside the elastic limits of barrel steels.

Have you seen this thread?

I don't necessarily agree that hammering a bulged barrel back to shape is a great idea, but it's done anyway.
From what I've heard that happens to guns and rifles that have then gone on to pass proof.

I prefer to take a more prophylactic approach - by way of careful diet and care of what I have!

Cheers
Tinker

Yep,

Following same for some time and noting sundry "positions" taken, many without a grasp of what minimal metallurgy even I know.

I think Dunlap and Ackley got it abt right until the 1950's. AFAIK the use of lead inclusive "free machining" steels has done a world of harm and this may be why the euro makers prefer their own brews.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com