atkinson6
(.375 member)
14/05/04 05:14 AM
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

NitroX,
What you said is exactly what I was saying if you read my post closer...

As to my doubles in 450-400, one I had worked over extensively right off the bat..The other was fresh from Westley Richards but I had some work done on it also..and as you know work on doubles is always expensive...

I love the old english guns and have never denied that..I do however feel that for the neophite who has not delt and studied English double guns that a modern gun is his best course to keep from getting screwed big time....

There are in fact a lot of trash English doubles out there just waiting to be sold...sometimes I get the distenct impression this riles the lovers of English guns, but I see no reason why it should as anything made my man or anything mechinacle is prone to wear out, and such is the case with many English doubles...

This has nothing to do with the good old English guns that still exist, and they are many, but buyer beware is good advise don't you think?????...

As to a using gun in Africa, I have gone over to the other side since I got my Searcy PH, because I believe it to be a better gun from strictly a using point of view and it is...Also it can be replaced, its inexpensive from a double gun standpoint, and if it is stolen I can get another...I would never check a really high end double on an airplane...

As I see it thats the point of this thread.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com