9.3x57
(.450 member)
04/12/09 12:56 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

ChrisPer:

As 4seventy says, you could be right. No one who claims significant experience with OSR has ever demonstrated or documented any investigation into this possibility here. I don't think anyone truly knows, but some engineers I've discussed the issue with have suggested that there could indeed be a relationship between rifling type and stresses induced by it and OSR and indeed, possibly even a release of stresses over time that might not have anything to do with shooting, might be caused by shooting large numbers of bullets or might be caused by shooting of hard bullets.

Again, as 4seventy says, who knows.

To answer your question further, IMO, your suggestion deserves deeper investigation. It has been brought up in the past on these threads. Since no one here has shed any light on the possibility, you might be better off investigating this possibility elsewhere.

No one to my knowledge has done extensive testing to determine actual, specific causes of OSR. That lack of concrete data has prompted the independent and commercial testing being pursued now.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com