400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
13/11/09 03:11 AM
Re: Lyon & Lyon of Calcutta DR's

Quote:

All, (and 400NitroExpress)
It does not have any Nitro proofs except the "70 grs Cordite - 480 grs Max" on the flats
Crown V on the flats and water table, Crown CP on the flats and 450EX.

Both indicate London proof before 1904. London's marking of the load proved for reversed the wording from Birmingham's prior to 1904. It isn't CP. It's crown over the letters "GP" (gunmaker's proof) interlaced in a cypher. This is London's definitive proof mark.

Quote:

The biggest issue with it, is that the striker bushings got screwed up at some point.
The repair was to take out thr disk bushings and mill a dovetail from the top of the action.
Now the strikers are held in place, by plates that slide down the dovetail, from the top, and have a screw that is counterbored above the striker holding the plates in place.
I have seen this system of bushing before, but this was clearly a repair.
Any thoughts on this repair ?

I think it unlikely that this is a repair.

Quote:

Left barrel has a slight ring in the rifeling, 1/4" after chamber, seems unusual that the left would be shot more than the right, and have errosion, any thoughts ?

Is it a ring or erosion? With respect to "redoing" the strikers, I think this one needs to go to J. J. for a careful examination before you buy it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com