DarylS
(.700 member)
31/10/09 02:38 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Although I am happy Cal didn't have any problems in his .600, my friend has no problems in his Drilling, with an exceptionally thin tube virtually right from the chamber, I remain unconvinced either way.

I know or perhaps feel is a better word, that OSR could very well happen or has happened to a few rifles under the right/wrong circumstances with perhaps older rifles which have or had questionable barrel strength, dimensions or weight of barrels. I still question 'which' or 'how many' different bullets are responsible & if the current variations of grooved bullets can be susupect at all.

The little 'tit' of lead protruding from the base of some 'solids' is caused by the flow or extrusion of the interior lead from being compressed by the lands pressing in the sides of the jacket, in simple terms. It cannot protrude out the nose as that is encased in jacket material. It cannot be contained inside as the bullet is being held by the lands and grooves to the size of the bullet being passed through, which in itself, eliminates the possibility of oburation (expansion). The lead does not obturate out the rear of the jacket, it is extruded out the rear of the jacket, just as when swaging bullets, a tit or string of lead is extruded out the bleed hole of the die when the core is queezed to a smaller size.

The grooved bullets such as Barnes banded bullets won't obturate, which is a good thing and noted on the Barnes web site. They are slightly undersized over most of their legnth and due to their construction, cannot expand, ie: obturate. The grooves of the banded bullets give the displaced metal of the bullet a place to go - which is the reason for their design according to the bullet makers themselves. Do the grooves do other things, yes - but in this particular case, this is an important trait of these bullets.

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

Don't know who said this, but it's true - across the board.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com