DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
27/10/09 08:56 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

I believe there is an enthusiastic double rifle hunter on the net whom uses monometal bullets eg Barnes X, in his Chapuis 9.3x74R double and yes other persons whom have handled his rifle have said there is evidence of OSR. I have not seen the rifle but trust the guys whom have seen the rifle.

Gentlemen, one last thing here, and IMO this thread should die!
The whole thing that is debated here is one side declares the existence of OSR, and separating of ribs, and wedges caused by improperly made mono-metal bullets in DOUBLE RIFLES! In this 6 or 7 pages of tossing this back and forth, several examples of this phenomenon have been offered, and not one clear iota of proof that it doesn't exist has been offered, except apples to oranges comparisons, and biased opinion.

People who own doubles that have this damage have posted here, and most of us have posted about examples we have seen with our own eyes, yet we are commissioned in charge of showing proof, to the two people here who have not seen it, but they offer only single barrel rifles and chamber pressures in those rifles they have shot as proof that it doesn't exist.

It seems odd to me that dozens of long time collectors and shooters of double rifles all seem to know of this effect on double rifles, and the two who staunchly deny the existence of damage to double rifle by the use of improperly made Mono-metal bullets, are two people who have never even owned a double rifle, and I doubt either has ever even held one in their hands, or fired one in any caliber. Amazing! Yet they know all about what works in them, and what will, and will not damage them, and to what extent. Are these two to be believed while there are many right here on NE, and a hundred or so on AR who are aware of this effect on double rifles who seem to be mistaken in what they have seen. Perhaps they all had a joint nightmare! Nitro's post above is just one more example offered by our host here! Is he to be included in the disillusioned among us?

Gentlemen, this is not a unicorn, it is a well known real ANIMAL among the long time double rifle owners, collectors, and makers, and is always a thing a knowledgeable buyer looks for when buying a used double rifle, just like off face condition, or cordite burn, and loose ribs, which by the way, is also caused by the same thing, in most cases, as causes OSR. This phenomenon only bared it's ugly head about the time Mono-metal bullets arrived on the shooting seen, with a full 100 yrs of double rifle use before, with no OSR. That alone should tell a intelligent person there may be a connection, but not to everyone it seems.

................. I don't think we need sarcasm, but it seems at least one poster here seems to live for it. That is not needed in a debate, and those who use it are, most times, operating from a base built on quicksand!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com