Huvius
(.416 member)
27/10/09 02:13 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

procure a brand new Chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74R

Nice idea, but Graeme Wright's discussion of OSR suggests that modern barrel steels are not as susceptabe to OSR as vintage barrels.

"for the most part, new rifles and new barrels fitted to old rifles are not showing the overstressed rifling problems with hard projectiles"

Are Chapuis, Merkel, Krieghoff, Blaser, and Searcy among the makers recommending AGAINST using monos in their guns?
If not, does their warranty cover OSR or loose ribbing when using factory ammo?
If they recommend against it, what do they base that recommendation on?

I think we can all agree that a vintage double brings many variables into play here that a new gun simply does not.
Barrel thickness, steel composition, type of rifling, and wear of the rifling all contribute to the possibility of OSR occurring - not to mention land and groove variations when they were new.

IMO, this argument is totally moot!
Also, IMO, OSR exists and seems to be easily avoided (at least for now) by simply choosing the correct size and type of bullet for your rifle. (ie, no monos!)
I learned very quickly with my first vintage double that if you aren't willing to do the homework and experimenting required to shoot these guns properly, then you shouldn't bother...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com