400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
26/10/09 02:46 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

There is a difference between the use of a hydraulic ram and the combustion of powder to drive a bullet thru the bore.

You completely missed the point of the test. The purpose of driving the bullet through manually was to determine whether or not barrel expansion could be induced SOLELY due to the passage of a hard bullet, thus eliminating the influence of chamber pressure. It was. This has long been known to be true and was confirmed by Woodleigh's tests.

Quote:

The simple question is; Will the passage of a .407 bullet down a .400 bore/.408 groove barrel cause the barrel to exceed its elastic limit and if so, at what pressures?

One more time, no one has EVER demonstrated that chamber pressure has ANYTHING to do with this issue. I've spoken with a lot of people in the trade familiar with this issue, and have never found a single one that believes it, except Barnes. Pressure testing has conclusively proven that mono-metal bullets can be loaded to standard external performance without exceeding established pressure limits. Even Barnes' tests prove this. Excessive pressure is a canard.

Quote:

To the contrary, I have now been told attempts to reproduce this event have demonstrated that it is not reproducible. Just reporting some findings. I'm pretty sure we'll get more.

Ah. Standard response for this string. Woodleigh lied. How impressively credible and constructive. Probably from a certain mono-maker that's done no testing at all.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com