9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/10/09 01:40 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

When forcing a soft point through, the barrel has no measurable expansion at all. However, a steel solid gave .0005" expansion to the barrel, although the barrel did spring back after the bullet had passed."

There is a difference between the use of a hydraulic ram and the combustion of powder to drive a bullet thru the bore. I was given something of an engineering lesson from an ordnance engineer about this specific test today. Suffice it to say I think we all might get that lesson shortly. I hope so, as I am no engineer, and the lesson was interesting indeed.

A hard .407" mono that has to pass down a .400" bore/.408" groove barrel still has a lot of metal to displace - metal that Barnes specifically states is difficult to displace - in order to conform to the bore. In the thin tubes of a double rifle, that's almost a guarantee of problems.

This IS it!

The simple question is; Will the passage of a .407 bullet down a .400 bore/.408 groove barrel cause the barrel to exceed its elastic limit and if so, at what pressures?

This seems relatively easy to prove or disprove, so what seems so hard for me to understand is why we have never seen a lab reproduction of that event documented here.

To the contrary, I have now been told attempts to reproduce this event have demonstrated that it is not reproducible. Just reporting some findings. I'm pretty sure we'll get more.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com