400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
24/10/09 03:21 PM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

Thanks for the info 400. I take it at face value.

I'll help with photos. I photo my knives for publication, and I know how tough it is to photo steel under lights. It IS difficult. I can give you some pointers, truthfully.

9.3:

As I think now you understand, the problem isn't with posting photos, it's taking them. In my late youth, I had several years of formal instruction in photography, so I'm not a novice. This isn't something that's a quick snap with a pocket digital.

It isn't raised to the extent that you can feel it, or see it from any side angle. In order to judge good barrel striking - and see OSR - the barrel must be viewed from the muzzle or breech with the eye no more than, say, 5 degrees from the axis of the bore. It's necessary to be looking into a light source, plus have a background to provide contrast, and a straight-edge. Further, focus must be precise, and depth of field will have to be deep for the camera to capture it. In the end, I'll probably need studio lights and backdrops. Based on my efforts so far, I can tell you it will be a trick.

Quote:

Look, ALL {?} of us have taken it on the chin financially in some way or another. Who hasn't gotten butched by some thing or another? Your gun broke. Maybe Barnes bullets caused it, or maybe it was ready to let go anyway?

Honestly, no, I don't think so. Double rifles are expensive, and I'm not rich, so I have always been careful. While this was a long time ago, I was no novice when this took place. I had the advantage of knowing what "well-struck" meant, and knew what OSR looked like. I carefully inspected both before they were purchased (one of them was not mine), plus both were professionally inspected. Both were perfect. The one that belonged to my hunting partner was sold for a song after it was damaged. I still have the other. The OSR is present only on one barrel, and is very slight. It wasn't present before, and came up when roughly 20 rounds total of super solids were fired. No other projectiles of any description were fired during that interval. In the 18 years, and some thousands of rounds (including steel jacketed solids) since, no change has occurred.

Quote:

My trust goes down as the price goes up.

Way ahead of you. In part because of the issues we're discussing, I think it's absolutely nuts to buy a used DR without professional inspection. I can truthfully say that I'm helping friends look for nice British doubles constantly. Once we find a candidate, I insist that they have the gun inspected by a true DR expert gunmaker (not a magazine rifle parts changer), usually J. J. Understand that many of these are from online, and I don't always get to see them before he does. SEVERAL times J. J. has nixed 'em for OSR.

Quote:

Can you give us some pre- and post- mono measurements of your gun? What did the monos do internally? The dimensional differences would be very instructive to us all. No BS.

I always slug double rifles before shooting them. Both of these were spot on spec. I didn't have the occasion to slug my partner's gun afterwards, before it was sold. Mine did not measurably change, but like I said, visible OSR is very slight. I see OSR a lot, but unfortunately, almost always only after it's already there. A couple of times, J. J. has mentioned that a rifle that had OSR had bores out of spec on the large side.

Quote:

I called Merkel today.

I spoke to Kent Barnard at 205-655-8299. I asked if there were any problems with using properly sized mono bullets in Merkel doubles. He said; "none whatsoever". He said no guns have been sent back to him due to damage caused by monos. He was very familiar with OSR, but said he has not seen any evidence of it with their guns. This is interesting, as I have heard different elsewhere.

I believe the man, and don't find that particularly surprising. As we discussed earlier, this problem is directly related to min wall. Let's just say that issue opens a whole new can of radioactive worms. Merkel's barrels are very thick for a double, as are Krieghoff's.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com