400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
24/10/09 04:17 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Peter:

A question for you. You're a gunmaker and, of course, you know what "well-struck" means, which 9.3 obviously doesn't. Do you think that obvious imperfections in barrel striking would be easy to photograph? If so, how would you go about it?

Quote:

Originally posted by 9.3X57:

Daryl is right. It takes pressure. LOTS of pressure at the thick breech, and, indeed, quite a bit at the bayonet end.

Unsubstantiated speculation proven false by Barnes. This canard floated by Barnes is pure BS, and Barnes' own tests proved that it was, although their tests proved nothing else. One more time, NOBODY believes that excessive chamber pressure has ANYTHING to do with it. ONLY Barnes says that it does, and they maintain that OSR doesn't even exist.

Mono-metal bullets don't create excessive pressure in bolt rifles, and they don't in double rifles either. Anyone that says otherwise has no data to support it, because it isn't true. Bolt rifles have much thicker min wall than quality double rifles do, and that's the difference. You don't understand that because you have no experience with the type.

Quote:

Just how an engraved, undersized bullet {Barnes are sold undersize & I'm sure all double owners slug their guns, right...?} could push rifling out to show on the outside of a barrel near the muzzle is unknown to me and not demonstrated here by anyone. Indeed, it defies credulity.

Even though you have no experience with double rifles and have no knowledge of them, you continue to refer to this as theory. It's isn't. Many professionals in the DR trade have observed it first hand. David Winks (shop foreman for Holland & Holland, now retired) is on record that a NEW .465 Royal suffered OSR in regulating it with mono solids, before the rifle was even finished, and new barrels had to be made. You continue to ignore the quote from Russell Wilkin (Holland & Holland) from Graeme Wright's book that I posted. You continue to ignore Mike Bailey's post about the NEW Holland & Holland double rifle that he commissioned (you have any idea how expensive that is?)

Quote:

I have no ties to anyone, but the heads of gunrooms at Holland and the ex regulator at Westleys have
both told me I will be nuts if I put any mono's down my gun (a new one) and I don't intend to try, best, Mike

You continue to ignore one of the foremost authorities on double rifles and their ammunition. This "if it's news to 9.3, IT'S NEWS" stuff is tiresome. This attitude of yours that because Graeme Wright, Ross Seyfried, Holland & Holland, Geoff MacDonald, et. al. haven't taken you by your little hand and "proven" the phenomenon of OSR to you that it's a fraud is as intellectually bankrupt as it is dishonest. These people have enormous experience in the DR field in general, and the problems of barrel damage from mono bullets in them in particular. You have zero, yet you suggest that theirs "defies credulity", and that's hysterical.

Quote:

Originally posted by 9.3X57:

And for it to push the rifling out similarly at the breech as at the muzzle is, well, almost impossible for me to imagine if that is what it is said to do. Nay, impossible, in the absense of any proof, which, of course, as always, has not been provided.

Like I said, come click away. Further, I'll arrange to have a DR with OSR at the booth at SCI in Reno in January. If you're so interested in gathering information about OSR, you have to make an effort. I have, over a lot of years. I'm sure you'll make excuses, as your "interest" here is clearly feigned and dishonest.

Like I said, it's clear that you have an agenda here. I don't know what it is, don't care, but it obviously doesn't have anything to do with learning something about the issue. Your unveiled insults make that clear.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com