peter
(removed)
24/10/09 12:14 AM
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

Quote:

Frankly, Peter, and this just came to me, you would possibly be a trustworthy disinterested party to conduct some tests. I offered to kick in some dough to get that going, and the offer still stands. How about a skinny-barrel test? Such a barrel could be miked in various internal and external positions before firing and then after.

rod

thank you for the vote of confidence, as i told you, i am working on a design for a monometal bullet, in whatever little time i have left at the moment

the reason why tests proberly wont be conducted is that to determine the actual damage you need a set of double rifle barrels to prove it and although i can make them at cost i will much rather sell them than blowing them up.

slugging the barrels is not done as much as it should be done, and that is one of the major excuses the bullet makers can use to counter any claims in court, and since courtcases demand money most people stay away from them alltogether.

i once did a small test, that at least can give you an idea about the damage that can happen with these guns, i fired a slightly oversize copper ball through a shotgun, the ribs came lose from a third down the barrels, and the shotgun were a total loss alltogether, the size difference to the bore and and the ball were only 0.02mm, using barnes logic that shouldent have happened because the steel is harder than the copper and there were plenty of room to displace the metal, with it being a round ball.

i have my own ideas about OSR, and i play around with them whenever i have the time, problem is that time is rare at the moment.

one thing i wonder about is a lot of older barrels were slightly constricted in the musselend back in the day, a bit like a shotgun constriction, and it worked well, but i think that fact might be helping osr along, now i dont know but, if barnes test barrel were a low cost test tube then it surly wont be sporting this constriction feature, thereby making their test absolutly useless.

we can all set up test's to be proven right, but a test to actually investigate what happens would be a sight to behold, maybe when i have more time and a set of old barrels that i dont have any use for.

my bullet design is meant for use both in new barrels and in such rifling as henry and other oddball stuff, when it will be ready, only the gods knows

best regards

peter

Contact Us NitroExpress.com