400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
15/10/09 03:47 AM
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06

Quote:

As usual, the gunmakers misunderstand bullet design and thus classify all monos as being the same which they are most definitely not.

Dan:

We've had this discussion before. In my view, the problem is that's never been proven. The same problem exists with all mono makers. They don't want to spend the money for the R & D for their products. They want the customer to do their R & D for them in the customer's expensive double rifles.

Double rifles are double rifles. MOST of them in use today pre-date WWII. As many others have discovered, that really doesn't matter, as new rifles have been damaged too. If some mono maker wants to sell his product for use in double rifles, then he should bear the cost of conducting real R & D before putting them on the market. To wit: buy 10 double rifles that represent a cross section of the rifles in the marketplace - new, old, and in between. Carefully measure the bores, and have the barrels carefully inspected by an outside expert DR barrelmaker for OSR. Or perhaps have them all perfectly re-struck and polished. Fire 1000 rounds of the product through each, then re-measure and have them re-inspected by the barrelmaker for OSR and other damage beyond normal wear, and have him write his report. NOT ONE OF THESE MONO-MAKER ENTERPRISES HAS EVER DONE THIS. If they had, we'd have heard about it, loudly, and would never hear the end of it. They all claim that their bullets can't cause damage to DR barrels, but the damaged rifles don't lie. Such claims without the makers, at a minimum, conducting the test regimen that I've described, are a bald-faced lie.

"Oh, but we can't be expected to do that. Double rifles are expensive and we don't have that kind of capital." Well, gee. It costs money to enter some markets and do so in an honest manner. If you can't afford it, don't do it.

I'm with Nigel on this one. Theory is nice, but I've already been a test subject on this one and got fucked, so I'm not interested in mono maker's theories anymore, nor am I interested in testimonials or other anecdotal "evidence". I want to see controlled, monitored tests conducted at the maker's expense in a battery of the maker's real double rifles. It will never happen.

Haven't seen you post in a while, Dan. Good to hear from you. Hope you're well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com