DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
13/10/09 04:39 AM
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06

Quote:

Thanks Mike & 9.3x57, I wasn't questioning your intent.

As to fight - I cannot see why there even was one. The facts speak for themselves.
Now, if you don't handload and don't want to, factory ammo is avialable which brings the .45/70 up to date as Mike's loads show.
CorBon is only one of these new manufacturers of higher power .45/70's. I'd call them to find out about their pressure data on the loads they offer.

Daryl,you are right, if factory loads are used there is no problem with this little double rifle, but the custom plus-P loads offers by some small ammo makers are not safe in a double, especially a weak one.

This thread is about a double rifle,after all, and there is a misconception that chamber pressure is all that is a consideration for ammo to be used in any rifle.

First you never rely on the common pressure signs you get in a bolt, or lever action, when loading for a double rifle. Things like flattened primers, are a sign of "OVER PRESSRE" and do not show up till you go over pressure. In a bolt rifle this is OK, if you back off, but in a double rifle that may just be the load that blows the rifle off face. The 28000 PSI is absolute limit, not opperating pressure, and I assure you if a steady diet of that pressure is fed into the Baikal is WILL fail sooner or later. The other thing you guys seem to never state exactly what bullet is used in these loads. This is a real mistake when dealing with double rifles. The weight of the bullet is not all that counts here. Things like the mono-metal bullets with a solid shank that is groove diamether is a real mistake in a double rifle cheap, or expensive. Unless these bullets have pressure rings cut into solid shank the bottoms of which are slightly less than bore diamether, they are no suitable for use in a double rifle. Lead core bullets, or cast gas check are OK, but the type of bullet used in a double rifle is critical.

New or old cheap or expencive, the break-top double rifle is 17th century technology, and has it's own set of rules. When dealing with a double rifle you need to forget everything you have ever learned about loading, and load by double rifle rules. Just posting loads that you have not used in double rifles on a thread that is about a double rifle is irrsponcible! That is either going to get someone to damage a double rifle beyond repare, and or, injure himself. I don't think you want that to happen any more than I do!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com