Spring
(.300 member)
05/05/04 12:13 AM
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

I too am new to double rifles and have enjoyed learning from the many of you that have enjoyed them for so long. I bought my first double a few weeks ago after reading and learning about my options for the past six months. I wanted a quality sidelock as well as a gun that was ready to use in Africa on my next trip to Tanzania. I didn't feel experienced enough to venture into the antique gun market, nor did I want to pay the cost of a quality British sidelock for a gun that I wanted to take into the briars of Africa. This gun, built on the Holland and Holland sidelock design, fits me like a glove.

Gunmaker: Beretta 455
Appox manuacture date: 1989
Calibre: .470 Nitro Express
New or pre-owned: used
Condition when bought: Excellent; assessed at 98% condition.
Did you have it checked over: yes, by my local gunsmith, who also checked the book value and was amazed at the perfect condition of the gun and how I got it at the value that I did. At 98%, the gun is appraised at almost $40,000. I paid well less than that.
Any problems subsequently: The safety was a bit stiff (basically the gun had never been used) and I sent it back to the dealer, Roosevelt and Drake, for adjustment. He had it checked and adjusted. Works perfectly now.
Ammo regulated: Originally regulated for Kynoch 500 gr solids at 50 yards. So far I've been shooting Federal Premium TBBCs. It shoots beautifully with groups of about 1 1/2" at 60 yards.
Other: My actual gun was featured in the Winter 2003 edition of The Double Gun Journal. If you'd like to see it, here are links to scans from it: DGJ page 100 and page 101.
Commercial interests: None. I just love everyday in the outdoors!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com