470Rigby
(.333 member)
04/05/04 11:09 PM
Re: Can anyone offer an estimated market value?

holland465 - You are obviously a Holland man and you would have been interested to see the look of utter distain on David Wink's (formerly of Holland's) face at a Melbourne Gunshow several years ago when he lifted the lid on a cased Coggie - it was as if a cat had had crapped inside it!

But, I agree with you for different reasons - Coggie's may not be built on standard A&D actions, but in this respect they are no exception in the English Gun Trade - Greeners' variants like the Empire, Unique, Facile Princeps being examples of improved boxlock actions. Whether C&H's "Avant Tout" type action is technically inferor is anybody's guess!

I can't comment about ease of repair - there may not be standard V Springs etc. that will fit them, but in reality, they are little different from other hand-made English guns in this repect.

But, with Coggie's, any beauty they might have is only skin deep, even with their higher grade models!

Take the locks off one their higher grades like "Extra Quality Victor", and the standard of finish is about on the level of a second or third rate Spanish gun!

But, as they say "the proof of the pudding, etc.", so the question is how do they shoot? Well, in my experience C&H's shotguns can't really be faulted on this score, nor can their Magazine rifles, but as for their Double Rifles, perhaps someone out there might care to comment - if they are game enough to admit to owning one?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com