SaxonPig
(.224 member)
04/05/04 10:56 PM
Re: Can anyone offer an estimated market value?

I live in the USA. The caliber is the .375 X 2.5" Rimmed. I have a small supply of proper cases that I bought years ago from Bell but mostly I form cases from .30-40 Krag which are a tad short but otherwise work fine.

This rifle is very accurate with the 235 Speer bullet loaded to about 2,200 FPS. The first time at the range I fired a round from each barrel at 100 yards and the bullets impacted within one inch of each other. One time I was out in the desert with friends doing some "plinking" and at 25 yards I shot a 12 ounze soda can laying on the ground. Hit near the rim, it flipped about 30 feet into the air and I hit with the other barrel just as it reached the apex of it's arc, sending it flying off into the distance. My friends were very impressed but I knew it was a fluke. I recently tried some cast lead bullet loads but they key-holed and I think perhaps the rifling isn't sharp or deep enough for lead projectiles.

I saw this rifle on consignment in a shop when I was an 18 year-old college student. It was marked at $1,300 and that was a fortune at the time. I loved the double guns and wanted one very badly but there was no way I could buy this. Well, about three years later it was back in the same shop up for sale again. This time the price was $1,800 and this time I had to have it. I left a deposit and spent the next several days collecting debts owed me and selling other guns.

In 1986 the gun was stolen in a home burglary. Of the 23 guns that were taken, only four have been recovered (one just last year). This one was one of them. The thief took this rifle to a gun show and offered it around at $300! One potential buyer was an off-duty police officer who knew the price was too good. He "ran the serial number" and it came back as "hot."

I have quite a history with this little rifle and I have no plans to sell it. It is great fun to shoot and it's something that is a little different from what everyone else is shooting at the range.

I was just curious as to how much it has appreciated over the years. I wish it could talk and tell me where it was and what it doing between 1920 and 1975.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com