4570Govt
(.224 member)
14/09/09 02:33 PM
Re: REM/Baikal 45-70, I took the Plunge

Greetings
My experience with this rifle is as follows. After 160 rounds fired (45-70), it apprear that my rifle has a preferance for the 405gr bullet. I have tried 300's, 405's and 500's, both jacketed and hard lead. Using a 50 yard base to start, I have seen groups from all over the spectrum. One mild load with a 405 hard cast lead groups both barrels on the same vertical line, and about 3 inches apart horizontally. Another load with the 300 had the same vertical line, and 12 inches horizontally.
With some work, i am positive this rifle will shoot both barrels into a 3-4 inch group or better, at 100 yds.
( my best group for the 405 was 3 shots touching for the left barrel, and the 3 for the right barrel 3 inches high and right into a 1" group)
Every time i shoot it, i grin and chuckle. I would love to own a classic Wm. Evans, or Purdy, but reality dictates a rifle i can afford. I shot a Javelina (collard peccary) with a 300 in February, and to say the least, it was adequate. I plan to use it for Elk in December, and will try the 300 Barnes as i need to use non lead.
When i shoot, all the range curmudgeons stop and watch. Some can appreciate the appeal, some can not. All in all the rifle is fun, and the recoil therapy worthwhile.
Shoot Safe!
John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com