mickey
(.416 member)
30/04/04 02:32 PM
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

Here's another

Gunmaker: George Gibbs Box Lock Ejector Purchased 1994

Appox manuacture date: pre WW 1

Calibre: 450 3 1/4"

New or pre-owned: Pre owned. Purchased by a mining engineer in SA. Had shot at least 3 elephants and many Buffalo. (came with pictures) I was Fourth owner.

Condition when bought: Exterior showed normal wear for age. Later recoil pad. Minor piting in barrels and major pitting in both chambers. (Shell would stick in chamber) Stock had some oil soaking. Tight on face and probably not fired much.

Did you have it checked over: No. Only by myself.

Any problems subsequently: None. I sent it to Rodenbusch in Austria where it was rebored and rechambered to 470. Reproofed in Austria. Reregualted to Federal Premium. Shoots to 2" group at 70 meters. Went to Belgium where engraving recut and then to England for case colouring and re blacking. Silvers pad. Re proofed in England. I removed excess oil from stock and refinished it with oil. Re checkered.

Ammo regulated: Federal Premium. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831.

Other: Purchase price US4000. Total cost to refurbish $5800. Total investment including rebuilt leather case $10,500. Sold in 1999 for US15,500. Has made 5, 28 day safaris in Africa and shot at least 7 Elephants and many other animals. Also to Australia for Bantang and Water Buff. I wish I had it back but owner wants too much.

Gunmaker: Jeffery Boxlock Ejector

Appox manuacture date: Unknown

Calibre: 450 #2

New or pre-owned: Pre owned

Condition when bought: Good. Shows little wear. Rifle tight. Bores Good.

Did you have it checked over: No. Only by myself.

Any problems subsequently: None.

Ammo regulated: Originally Kynoch. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831. Accuracy, 3" @ 50 yards. Should do better.

Other: Purchase price US$7,500 in 2000.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com