mstarling
(.224 member)
29/04/04 03:33 AM
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

I'll post two as well ... remember that I am a novice in this neck of the woods and may have paid too much. I'm very happy with the quality of the firearms I've acquired.

Gunmaker: Butch Searcy
Appox manuacture date: recent

Calibre: .70 NE

New or pre-owned: pre-owned

Condition when bought: new condition
Did you have it checked over: no ... bought it with the usual 3 day inspection period and strong reference for the seller from a very experienced local person. Was delighted with the weapon when it arrived. Seller was Mike Schwandt.
Is the older style Field Grade. Not anywhere near as cobby as the comments on the forum might lead a novice to believe.

Any problems subsequently: none

Ammo regulated: Butch supplied information on the regulation load that turned out to be right on! Also worked with a Ballisticast 1431 bullet made to 500 grains ... one hole at 100 yards. Absolutely could not ask for more. Has killed deer with cast bullet load.

Other: Price was less than $7k

Commercial interests: I make knives ;>)

Gunmaker: Chapuis
Appox manuacture date: 1990s
Calibre: 9.3x74R with 20 3" gauge shotgun bbls and fitted case. Rifles bbls fitted with a QD rail mount S&B 1.5-5x42 scope

New or pre-owned: pre-owned

Condition when bought: metal is superb. Some marks and finish loss on the stock.

Did you have it checked over: Purchased from the local expert. Had shot the gun previously as well.

Any problems subsequently: Will need to have the stock shortened a little ... but I knew that going in.

Ammo regulated: Was provided with a load for which the rifle was regulated, and have developed several others. Very pleased with bench accuracy. Has killed hog and deer very nicely.

Other: was less than $7K.

Commercial interests: I make knives ;>)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com