Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

Hi,

Like AlaskanPH I've limited experience so here goes:

Gunmaker: Chapuis Armes

Appox manuacture date: 2001 Made for me

Calibre: 9.3x74r

New or pre-owned: New, built for me

Condition when bought: NIB

Did you have it checked over: No, new rifle (my mistake)

Any problems subsequently: Finishing on top lever not done, and cut spring that holds the lever open when action is open. Also soft firing pins. Total additional cost, $220.

Ammo regulated: I asked specifically for 286 Norma Alaskans, and they did it accidentally for 286 Norma Oryx (which is fine since I like Oryxs better I just did not know they existed in 286gr wieght at the time). However, rifle make 2" groups at 100 yards with two shots from each barrel. Also it makes useful groups with 232 Oryx and vulcans too.

Other: Chapuis customer service is hit and miss at best. When I discovered they regulated it for the wrong bullet and complained they did not offer to reregulate it. I was not pleased with interior finishing, should have at a gunsmith inspect it first. Other than that the gun shoots great.

Commercial interests: None.

Additional Comments: I don't have a problem with any double rifles I've seen. As terms of old British rifles, there are simply too expensive for me to buy. Searcy too is too high. When I bought my Chapuis, it cost me $3,000 in France when the excharge rate was favorable. I could have had a 470 or 500 Heym or Kriefhoff for 5,000-6,000. I am drawn to modern guns simply because of price. When the dollar gets back to normal go to Europe and buy your rifle there. What people charge over here, especially those blood suckers at GSI, is simply a rip-off for the new double guns.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com