400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
28/07/09 04:06 AM
Re: what height new foresight for Merkel?

Quote:

All aiming is at the top of the bead. All shooting was done offhand.
I hadn't mentioned that Merkel had supplied the wrong sights (it came with one of those horrible plastic front sights and weird rear sight that is popular in Germany), and so the distributor in Australia got Merkel to send over the express sights that I had wanted. These were installed by a Melbourne gunsmith; I presume they weren't test fired before the rifle was sent back to me.

I think that's the answer. I agree with you about the sights that come standard on the Merkel, BTW. New express sights (front bead and wide rear V) aren't just "slap on 'n go". They're not made that way. When properly made express sights are first installed, ELEVATION WILL BE HIGH - it's SUPPOSED to be. The height of the rear V is made high on purpose, so that correct elevation can be properly filed in. When new express sights are properly installed on a double rifle by a gunsmith that knows what he's doing, he first fires it with the load it was regulated with. Elevation will be high. He then files the rear V, shoots again, files some more, etc., until elevation is properly filed in with the sight picture specified by the customer. Doesn't sound like the required questions concerning load and sight picture were even asked, let alone any shooting or adjustments done.

Yes, replacing the front sight with a taller one will have the same effect, but that is not the correct procedure with new express sights.

From the photos, your front bead is already quite tall enough to be easily damaged. Were it mine, I'd prefer to shorten it rather than raise it. Also, I'd get it to a qualified smith to have the front ramp milled for a Brownell's hood to protect the front bead (another complaint I have about Merkel and others). If you're comfortable with that height, fine. The high elevation issue is the rear V, not the front sight. That's true by definition - because they're NEW express sights.

Bottom line, your replacement sights were not properly installed. If the "gunsmith" didn't even shoot it, let alone file the rear V in, then your sights are doing exactly what they should be doing. I think it needs to go to a different smith that's qualified for the job.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com