Buchsemann
(.333 member)
27/07/09 04:36 AM
Re: Rangoon oil, used in Victorian era, just how good was it?

Gents,

I'm giving up for the moment. I certainly have learned more about Rangoon (as the capital of Burma) and the Rangoon Oil Company searching the Internet but I haven't found beans with regard to what is actually in Rangoon oil that made it a rather well know rust inhibitor. For now I'm in that "It is what it is" mode.

I guess I'm a little old fashion (traditional perhaps by circumstance) with my use of sperm whale oil on my forearms and other things. It's a little different for sure but as I haven't found anything that has done a better job for me, based on my personal requirements for lubricity and rust prevention, in any environment whether the arms are in storage, standard range use, shooting competition, or in the field (to include some incredibly cold conditions of the upper Midwest - USA), I'll probably stick with it. The stuff goes a very long way. To give you an idea: I have completely wiped down two lathes, two milling machines, four drill presses, three punch presses, one surface grinder, and many other smaller machine tools three times a year for the last five years using two smaller cotton rags soaked with no more than a total of two ounces of the stuff (whale oil). The results: With five of the major machines being in used in varying humidity and temperature - no rust. The other machines are in a more controlled environment - no rust. I have no idea as to what the total surface area of all of the aforementioned machines is but I'm pretty sure it's substantial. I do not use the whale oil as a cutting fluid or as a lubricant for the machines. I use cutting fluids specific to the materials I work with and my default way lube is Vactra No. 2. This whole thing (what I've used the whale oil for) may sound nuts but it works. How many times I've wiped down every gun in my collection over the years with as few rags as I have is minor in comparison. OK, I'll stop

Anyway, (sorry about flying off the main topic) I still would like to hear what the heck is in Rangoon oil if someone ever finds the answer.

Best regards,

Marcus

Contact Us NitroExpress.com