400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
15/07/09 07:04 AM
Re: Question on the Trigger Sequence in a Double

Quote:

I have owned several doubles,mostly 9.3x74r's. Don't have any trouble with any of them doubling ,but on second thought that is because they have only one trigger I imagine. When I bought my 470 I began to have a problem doubling. Once let a couple of PH friends in Zimbabwe shoot it and both doubled it. It was definitely not a malfunction. I then switched to rear first and problem went away. I suppose one could get in the habit of shooting a heavy double 'properly' but I would believe most do not shoot them that much ,I know I don't. It is ,for me, a matter of cost and the plain old fact they are not pleasant to shoot. I know there are people who profess to like inflicting pain upon themselves in this way ,I'm not one of them. To me a sport has to be moderately enjoyable for me to participate which is why I don't hunt ducks,I hate to be wet with clothes on. I do not hunt in the snow as I don't like to be excessively cold either. I don't shoot viciously recoiling rifles any more than I have to for the same reasons. I will endure moderate discomort for a brief period to acheive a desired outcome such as taking game in Africa and will use the required tools to do the job, but will take every advantage to reduce this discomfort as much as possible and to me pulling the rear trigger first is one of the ways I accompolish that. I would prefer a single trigger but most heavy doubles come with 2 and I know the old crap about singles not being 'reliable' which to me is mostly BS but they also cost quite a lot as options which is why I had 2 triggers on my 470. I worked the double desire out and no longer have to have one. I once thought you could not truley experience Africa without carrying a double but after several safaris and many game animals I have proven to myself ( me only does not apply to all of course)that I can derive equal satisfaction of a hunt in Africa with a nice bolt gun, even one with of all things, a scope sight, on it. Just one old man's thoughts on the subject.

Well, there are lots of ways to rationalize not being able to master something simple.

You don't shoot DRs much, so...that means nobody else does. That's a little much, don't you think?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com