CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
25/06/09 04:57 AM
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ??

Quote:

The safety has started slipping back on after the first shot.

I had that problem also. It went back to GSI for a fix, but the problem surfaced again. Second time I disassembled the gun and manipulated the safety button's leaf spring to provide more tension. No more problem.

The only other problem I have had is a loosening of the steel bar used for ballast in the stock. I did a simple re-vamp of its mounting in the butt, and the problem was solved.

I discussed these problems in detail in various earlier posts on NE.com.

All in all I consider these minor problems, and they are now resolved. This ain't no Holland and Holland.

As I have said in some of my earlier posts, I more-or-less expected the stock to crack with use. I set out to shoot the rifle as many times as I possibly could during the first year in the effort to break the stock, have it come off face, or have something else come unglued. I don't think many people would shoot a .500 Nitro as many times as I did in a lifetime.

First problem was with the steel weight in the butt. It was so easy to fix I saw no reason to send it in. I fixed it myself.

Second and more serious problem was the safety knocking "on" under recoil. I knew it was lack of spring tension. I didn't want to disassemble the rifle, so I sent it back. GSI paid the freight both ways. The gunsmith, Herbert, was very attentive. He called me to discuss the problems when the rifle went in, and he called me to discuss his fixes when he was ready to send it back to me. He said my fix on the steel weight was plenty good. As I stated, he didn't put enough spring tension on the safety. I'm sure I could have sent it back, but I then decided to fix it myself. I did, and that's that. I kinda wanted a tour of the insides anyway.

At this date, the rifle works perfectly and the stock has no cracks. I can't complain. It's accurate and tight. I really don't know what would make the rifle come off face. This one is barely getting broken in.

I think they are really good rifles by any standard, and when you factor in the low cost, what a deal!

That's my experience, and I have nothing to gain or lose by reporting it. As they say, your mileage may vary!

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com