Robgunbuilder
(.275 member)
13/04/04 01:31 AM
Re: 30-06 Heym Crossing

Well, I spent the weekend shooting the 30-06 Heym. I am now totally convinced it's a regulation problem. I shot it at 50 and 100 yrds with every combination of bullet weight from 150 grs to 220 grs that I could find. I tried 5 different powders and varied the velocities from 2400 to 2800 fps. The right barrel shoots dead on and at 50 yrds and both barrels will produce sub 2 inch groups at that range, but always crossing. The right barrel shoots on the left ( but to the sights, both open and scope).At 100 yrds one load shot a six shot 2.8 inch group still crossing. Most loads shoot 5 inch groups at 100 yrds with the right barrel giving a < 1.5 inch group on the left ( just to the sights) and the left barrel producing a similar group on the right but 5 inches apart. The groups are on exactly the same plane, so you can hold off 5 inches or so and shoot pretty well! Taking the scope off made no difference and shooting right handed made no difference. Interestingly, how one holds the forearm makes quite a bit of difference in accuracy. A light hold produces very good groups and a tight hold opens them up. In general, by lowering the velocity to 2500 fps, the crossing decreased, while increasing velocity made it worse. This is consistent with what Butch Searcy thought would happen. I guess I'll either have to live with it or re-regulate it. Any suggestions?-Rob

Contact Us NitroExpress.com