Huvius
(.416 member)
27/02/09 02:37 AM
Re: New Guy with question about getting into double rifles.

jager01,
Welcome to NE!
My first piece of advice is to first read everything on this site that you can.
I have found that there is a lot of "real world" experience here which you could never match reading periodicals and brochures.
Secondly, set your sights on a gun which you really want and then don't settle for less. The second you buy gun "A", invariably gun "B" comes along which you would rather have - happens to me all of the time!
Also, don't be afraid to put out more money for better quality or better condition.

$5K is a good statring point, depending on what type of double you fancy, but consider that if you bump up to $7500-$10K, the rifle selection really opens up for you.
That being said, sounds like you are into German guns already which is probably good as far as cost (compared to equal quality English).
Whatever you are thinking of buying, don't hesitate to float it out here on the forum and the folks here will surely tell you the pros & cons and give their opinions.

If you really like the Kodiak, I saw one in 8X57 at Gunsport Colorado which seemed like a decent gun at a decent price - bouldersmith could check it out for you I'm sure.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com