Rusty
(.333 member)
31/03/04 01:42 AM
Re: 450/400 3 ¼"

Phil,

I own an A. Hollis 450/400 3 inch.

One of my best friends, 400 Nitro Express also owns an A. Hollis in the same caliber. Most of the A. Hollis rifles we have seen have been good quality rifles.

Not to take issue with what Rigby said, however we have never seen an I. Hollis rifle that is of the quality that we have seen with A. Hollis. I am sure they are out there, just haven't crossed one here on this side of the pond.

The real key on the rifle you are looking at is to see if there is a 4 digit number near the barrel loop on the under rib.

That number means that the barreled action was made by Leonard. Leonard made barrel action for the trade, including Jeffery. If you look at the Jeffery records you would see that most of their barrel actions were purchased from others like leonard and then they finished and stocked them.

As far as the 450/400 3 and 3 1/4 go they are wonderful chamberings that are gentle enough to shoot a lot and big enough to swat whever you come across!

Be sure of the caliber you are getting. Some are .411 and most are .408. Slug the bore before you buy your Woodleigh or Hawk bullets.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com