doubleriflejack
(.333 member)
25/02/09 08:35 AM
Assisted opening "wrist breaker" actions, tell me about

Double Guns/rifles are cocked by a lever, assisted by barrels falling/closing (increasing length of that lever by barrels), by lever on action, mostly underlever (operated by hand, with no assist from barrels), OR by spring power cocking. Beesley invented two systems for self cocking, spring cocking, and added assisted opening as well to these actions. One of these two spring powered self cocking systems he sold to Purdey; the other he himself used on his guns, as did other gun makers, mostly Lancaster, and it became known as the "wrist breaker" action, because it took so much force to close the barrels on action, though otherwise the system worked well. I BELIEVE that the "wrist breaker" title is more appropriate to shotguns, having more lightweight barrels than rifles, THUS HARDER TO FULLY CLOSE. I believe that the heavier weight of rifle barrels would make the title "wrist breaker" less applicable. IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE GUNS/RIFLES, PLEASE COMMENT ON THE WRIST BREAKER TITLE, IS IT REALLY ALL THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM IN CLOSING SHOTGUNS---HOW ABOUT HEAVIER WEIGHT RIFLE BARRELS?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com