JPK
(.375 member)
13/02/09 01:59 PM
Re: Scope question #1

I am not a huge fan of Leupold either, though I own and use several and am generally happy with them for what I use them for. I find that their click adjustments are guestimates only.

Their optics are third rate, maybe fourth rate compared to the top of the line S&B's or Swarovskis and they just aren't even in the running. Not in the running with Kahles or the lower priced Swaros or high end Zeiss either. But then you pay for the optics with the top end scopes. Even in Leupold's different lines' price ranges, there are scopes that are at least as goo if not better. I have never had one fail though.

BTW, every top of the top of the line scope is a 30mm scope, and it has been that way for a heck of a lot longer than the current 30mm fad. And you need that 30mm tube to get good low light performance from a straight tube scope by increasing objective size to 24mm (with the eception of the 30mm Leupold, which maintains the same 2mm objective lens as the 1" version.)

Not that its a fair comapaison, it isn't, but if you take a Leupold 2.5x8x32mm and an S&B or Swaro 1.1x4x24mm, 1.25x4x24mm and switch back and forth as the light is fading, you will find that the S&B and Swaro far exceed the Leupold, while the theoretical math favors the Leupold. Its optics just don't compare.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com