Grenadier
(.375 member)
05/02/09 04:37 AM
Re: Why NO oil?

Quote:

Gentlemen

One thing amazes me though why on earth does so many double rifles come without oil worked stocks? Not even the grain has been sealed? I have seen this on Doubles from Heym, Krieghoff and now this Sodia? The wood is great and the engraving very nice. Why not finish the product by giving the stock some grain sealer and a cote or two at least? this could be done in two days while other work was being done.

It takes more than a couple of quick applications and two days to dry. See below:

Quote:

raising the grain by repeatedly sanding, wetting and heat-drying the wood until it was as smooth to the feel after drying as after sanding; hot lindseed oil (I believe) was applied and rubbed in with the palm of the hand and rubbed again once a day for a week.

Time and effort costs. You get what you pay for. You have a wonderful rifle but the stock finish is one of the corners they cut so they could offer it for sale at the price you paid. Luckily, you know how to do the stock finishing and you were able to invest your own time at no cost and the end result is that you have a gun with a very nice stock.

~

Contact Us NitroExpress.com